söndag 4 februari 2007

Free will and determinism

Do we have free will, or are all our thoughts and actions a result of the physical forces in our universe?

After having taken part in a discussion about consciousness on Furiku's blog I decided to learn a little bit more about the philosophy of the mind which discusses such things as the nature of the mind, consciousness, and free will versus determinism. The audio-course, which I warmly recommend, is from the teaching company (see my previous post about the the teaching company here), and it is called "philosophy of the mind". Teacher is John Searle (see picture) from the University of California, Berkeley.

My experience is that the question of free will versus determinism is a question that many people ask themselves occasionally. Are we free agents in the world or does everything, and I mean everything have a preceding cause. I cannot speak for anyone else of course, but for me it sure feels like I have free will. When I write these words I feel as if I am deciding to write these words, and I can even erase them again if I want to! On the other hand, dwelling further into this I can think of situations in which I have felt as if I had no free will, where I acted contrary to the way I wanted to act. One of my stepchildren exemplifies this point well. In the process of doing something violent to her younger sibling she sometimes says "I just could not control myself", which effectively eliminates the possibility of telling her that "that was wrong!".

I should state here what I believe; I believe that we live in a determined universe, that free will is an illusion (that we are determined to have), and I will now explain why.

We have physical laws which can, with some small exceptions, explain more or less everything that goes on around us. In most chemical and physical systems we can, if we know the current state of the molecules in the system, predict how the same system will look in the future. Our brain is a chemical/physical system (a very complex one), and therefore it should be theoretically possible to predict what our brain will look like in the future, and if we had more knowledge about the relation between the physical and mental state of the brain we would be able to predict exactly, the mental states and behaviors of the individual.

Some people will object to my view by saying that, if I don't have free will, then everything is determined and it doesn't matter what I do. I could go out and rape and kill people and that would have been inevitable. However, if the deterministic hypothesis is true, then you could obviously not decide to go out and kill and rape. If you did go out to kill and rape, it would be because of something, maybe these words (caused by processes in my brain) have had an influence of your brain which makes you go and do this, or maybe you have gotten a tumor in your amygdala, messing up your emotions. A similar objection that I sometimes hear is the following. "How can you (referring to me), believe in such a depressing thing?" Life is meaningless without free will! Of course the answer is the same, if the deterministic hypothesis is true I cannot decide to believe or not believe in free will, my beliefs were determined by the state of the universe when it began. Besides, I don't really feel sad when I think that I have no free will, rather, I think, I am a little bit amused by this thought.

Another objection is that research in quantum mechanics have shown that there is uncertainty in the universe. We cannot tell the exact location of the electron when it is orbiting the nucleus of the atom, hence free will. To me this argument sounds rather far fetched and desperate. There is no plausible reason to suggest that we would be able to control, through our mental activity, where the electron is located, and there is also no good reason (as I see it), why the location of an electron in the orbital cloud should give rise to different actions.

Summing up, I just cannot see anyway around the conclusion that there is no such thing as free will. It free will did exist it would be a big problem for science which rests on the assumption that every process in the universe have a cause. I would love to hear comments on this post, especially from people who do believe in free will...

10 kommentarer:

  1. How would a supernatural being give us free will? How we he/she allow our bodies to break the chain of causation?

    SvaraRadera
  2. i wonder what ground our entire legal system (penalties, punishment, jail, fines) is based on?

    I mean, if no one can help it: "it's just me, i couldn't have acted otherwise")

    ;)

    z

    SvaraRadera
  3. I see that more as a way to protect society from the criminals, make it less profitable to commit crimes (this makes good sense in evolutionary terms), and as a way (ideally) to treat the criminals. However, I am sceptical to prisons and penalties in general, mostly because they do not seem to help the people who get into prison. On the other hand, I cannot think of anything better to do with murderers than to lock them up and hope they get better.

    Also, I think we will always have free will as a model in our society. I don´t walk around all days and think everything is inevitable etc, though that is my belief when I reflect on it.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Great post, and I agree. And i like your blog. I added a link to it from mine.

    SvaraRadera
  5. Thank you for the compliment, I will add you to my list as well =).

    SvaraRadera
  6. Har redan sett det, och har börjat skriva ett svar, det kommer snart...

    SvaraRadera
  7. Har nu svarat på ditt inlägg på furikus blogg...

    SvaraRadera
  8. Hi again Anders:

    consider the following three scenarios. i) being asleep and dreaming; ii) being awake; and iii) "lucid" dreaming.

    In the first, we have conscious experience, yet we typically have no control over what happens in the dream: without resisting, we just do things, and we are like observers to our own actions. When we are awake, our experience is of course more concrete, but we also have a sense of control that we do not when we dream. And indeed, for those lucky (or not!) to dream lucidly on occasion, then you can be in the situation of being in a dream but knowing it, and being able to control what happens.
    My point is that there is a definite difference between these three scenarios: and thus we already know what it would be like to live in a world without free-will: it would be like the waking version of a dream. The fact that our waking experience is not like that suggests that there really is something to the degree of control we feel when awake...

    SvaraRadera
  9. the only way free will is possible is if nonmaterial can effect material somehow, i think it can, since we know that material can effect nonmaterial.

    SvaraRadera
  10. i need to know if thoughts feeling and consiousness are matter or not

    SvaraRadera