fredag 10 november 2006

Why we need the theory of evolution to explain HIV


If you are wondering why the HIV virus unlike other viruses kills you and if you have not accepted the catholic explanation that all Africans who get aids are sinners and deserved it you might want to continue reading.

The reason that our otherwise extremely impressive immune system is not able to cope with the HIV virus in the long run, is that the virus has a very high mutation and proliferation rate. Following any type of virus infection, the number of viruses in your body will go up exponentially, however, once your immune system is able to recognize the virus it will mobilize its troops (the white blood cells) and destroy the invader.

The same thing happens when someone is infected with HIV, first the number of viruses go up, then down. However, because of its rapid mutation rate, some of the HIV viruses will change so much that the immune system no longer recognize the virus. This new virus, which has evolved by natural selection will proliferate. Our immune system will soon be able to recognize the new invader, but then yet a different virus will be present. This constant race will go on for about ten years. At that time the HIV virus will have killed of so many white blood cells (the HIV virus is specifically targeting white blood cells) that the body can no longer defend itself against otherwise non-fatal infection, and you will die, perhaps, from a simple flu.

1 kommentar:

  1. Thanks for the comments Beda,
    I am sorry that I haven't answered all your comments yet (I can't promise that I will either), your comments, though critical are welcome.

    On this issue of where the responsobility for AIDS lies I agree with you that society as a whole as well as the individual has power to prevent HIV to some extent. Don't have sex and you won't get AIDS. If having sex is personal sin then sure I guess that the radiacal catholics are right.

    Nevertheless, many people believe that HIV/AIDS has nothing to do with sex. That if you live a sinful life then you will get punished through HIV or otherwise. That is the view I am objecting to.

    Now I admit that my original statement could and should have been more careful. The majority of catholics I think knows that HIV is an STD, and I should have pointed that out I suppose...

    SvaraRadera